- Information for Military Personnel and Their Spouses/Domestic Partners
- Suggestion Box!
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Become a Disaster Healthcare Volunteer!
- OT Practice Act
- Verify a License
- Join Our Mailing List
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Useful Links
- Decisions Pending and Opportunities for Public Participation
- American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA)
- Occupational Therapy Association of California (OTAC)
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT)
- Department of Consumer Affairs
The term of a license or certificate is two years. Licenses and certificates expire at midnight on the last day of your birth month in odd or even years depending on your birth year.
To renew a license or certificate, you must submit the renewal fee and a complete renewal form. The renewal form includes two requirements that must be completed in order for the renewal to be processed:
- Certification that you have completed the required number of professional development units of continuing education.
- Certification that you have or have not been convicted of a crime or disciplined by another state since your last renewal.
Processing time for license renewals is 4-6 weeks. Renewal notices are mailed to the address of record approximately 3 months prior to the expiration date. Please do not wait to mail your renewal payment. Note: The law requires that you notify the Board of an address change within thirty days.
You may not practice after your license expires. There is no grace period. Practicing after the expiration of your license or certificate may results in enforcement action. There is also no grace period for the delinquent fee. If you renewal notice is not postmarked by the expiration date, you will be required to pay the delinquent fee.
Although the Board mails renewal notices to all licensees, it is the licensee's responsibility to ensure that their license is renewed prior to the expiration date.
If you are not currently practicing or are moving out of state, you should place your license in inactive status.